COVID-19: MARCH MEETING UPDATE
DUE TO COVID-19 MHCCF WILL NOT BE HOSTING A MONTHLY MEETING ON FRIDAY, MARCH 20, 2020. WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS PANDEMIC AND UPDATE YOU VIA EMAIL AS NECESSARY AS IT RELATES TO ITS IMPACTS ON OUR MEETINGS, EVENTS ETC. Your safety is our top priority and so is providing you with information and updates. In response to growing concerns about Coronavirus/COVID-19 the Mental Health Counselors of Central Florida has decided to cancel the upcoming meeting that was planned for this upcoming Friday, March 20 at 8:30 AM.
According to the Florida Department of Health, as of March 15, Florida has 106 confirmed cases of the disease (2 Orange County, 1 in Seminole County) and four deaths.
We will continue to follow updates provided by the Florida Department of Health along with mimicking the Orange County Public Schools for suggestions regarding potential venue closures for public gatherings. We will communicate any meeting postponements or cancellations via an email update.
Please consider the following information shared by OCPS:
Isolation limits spread of the virus and will protect the overall health and wellness of other students and staff. Anyone with symptoms should call a medical provider for guidance on what to do. Medical providers will ask questions to screen people for COVID-19 or other illnesses, including the "common flu" which is also prevalent this time of year.
WHAT IS THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)?
A virus that causes diseases of varying severities, ranging from the common cold to serious respiratory disease.
HOW DOES IT SPREAD?
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- Shortness of breath
- Severe illness
HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF?
- Avoid close contact with people (six feet apart) and especially those who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, scrub thoroughly under nails and between fingers, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
WHERE CAN YOU FIND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a new disease and information regarding its spread and appropriate protective measure continues to evolve. The CDC and The Florida Department of Health are your best source of information about the disease.
The Florida Dept. of Health's #COVID19 Call Center is 1 (866) 779-6121 available at all times (24/7) or you can email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
In support of the state's efforts, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County (DOH-Orange) has established a Coronavirus Call Center phone number for Orange County, Florida residents. The phone number is 407-723-5004. The DOH-Orange Call Center is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We realize the situation is shifting rapidly, and we want you to know we will immediately communicate any updates impacting MHCCF to you via email.
Thank you for your support of Mental Health Counselors of Central Florida and your trust as we navigate potential threats while providing continued education and support for local clinicians. We encourage you to engage in some self-care for the time you would normally attend our monthly meetings such as reading a book, watching a movie, enjoying at home work such as yoga, spring cleaning, etc!